Sunday, August 25, 2013

Luby's - Plano, Texas

Pretty disappointing.  I have enjoyed Luby's for a long time, and I know I have been there since going vegan and had more selections, but today - pretty disappointing is all I can say.

The salad bar was ample - fresh spinach or lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, corn and black beans, onions, cucumbers and the such and several good vegan dressings to chose from (I got the balsamic vinaigrette).  There were other salad options such as a cucumber salad, fruit salad, fresh pineapple, and a shredded carrot salad, and had I known the limitations of my options down the line I might have gotten one of those as well.

Past the salad bar, I encounter vegetable soup and a nice assortment of vegetables.  Problem was the soup was cooked with beef stock and, without exception, all the vegetables were soaking in butter or, for the bean sides, cooked with some form of meat (either ham or bacon).

All the rolls were pre-buttered or contained milk and the desserts consisted of jello, cake or pie.  In the condiment area I was able to find the pickle pictured above, but past the salad bar that is literally the only vegan option outside the lemon slices or pico de gallo (also by the pickles).
 
I get Luby's does not cater to vegans, but it seems even just for health purposes they could steam the spinach, red potatoes and other vegetables without soaking them in butter, cook their beans with flavorings such as jalapenos and onions and not meat, or allow people to decide themselves whether they want butter on their bread or not.

I love Luby's.  My family loves Luby's.  But if salad is the only choice for me I would go elsewhere for a full bar of options.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment